Is America Reads/America Counts right for you?
What you should know before you apply:
- All America Reads/America Counts (AR/AC) tutoring is done in local public school classrooms during school hours; Monday–Friday 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Some schools offer the opportunity to work in after school programs, but there is no work on weekends or evenings.
- The schools are all located in Nassau County, close to the Adelphi Garden City campus. You may not request a specific school and must go to your assigned location.
- We will give you orientation and training before you start working at a school.
- You are paid for the time you do literacy work with children or the time you spend with the district teachers receiving training, planning lessons, etc. Your assigned teacher will supervise your work, offer guidance, etc. You will do a variety of tasks; work one-on-one with children, work with small and instruct large groups.
- You can begin work shortly after you have completed orientation and until you exhaust your Federal Work Study (FWS) allowance. This means if you work more you could earn the full amount sooner.
- You will stay at the same school for both semesters (or until you run out of FWS money). You can request a different school in subsequent years (but few tutors do so). You can also work in this program as long as you are an Adelphi student with a FWS allotment and if your work is satisfactory.
- We give you maximum flexibility in making this job fit with your schedule. But once you make the schedule, we expect you to keep it.
Interested in becoming a tutor? Have questions?
America Reads/America Counts
Center for Career and Professional Development
Nexus Building, Room 225
1 South Avenue
P.O. Box 701
Garden City, NY 11530-0701
p – 516.877.3130
f – 516.877.3136
e – email@example.com